Enduring Farmlands Scenic Byway
The Enduring Farmlands Scenic Byway showcases routes through the historic towns of Hawkinsville, Pineview, Rochelle, and Abbeville as well as the surrounding countryside. In viewing the peaceful rural character and pastoral landscapes of this 65-mile byway in Pulaski and Wilcox Counties, travelers can observe the small town agricultural heritage still prevalent in this region of the state, and appreciate the efforts these cities and counties have made to maintain the character of their rural lifestyle while allowing a viable future for their residents.
Attractions of the byway include scenic pecan groves, horse and cattle pasture lands and farmland (corn, cotton, peanuts, soybeans, peaches, blueberries, and grapes), farmers markets and festivals, civil war heritage sites, and the Ocmulgee River, along with the historic architecture of Hawkinsville’s Old Opera House, the Lawrence Bennett Harness Horse racetrack, and several notable churches.
Note: Click on photos to download
Directions to the Byway
From I-75 to Exit 135, GA-127/GA-224/US-41 toward Perry/Larry Walker Parkway.
- Turn left at the end of the exit ramp onto Larry Walker Parkway/Golden Isles Parkway (GA-127/GA-224/US-41).
- Continue to follow GA-224 E/Golden Isles Parkway/Larry Walker Parkway for 8.7 miles.
- This road becomes GA-11 S/US-341 S/Golden Island Pkwy/Main Street. Travel for 12.2 miles.
- Turn left at Broad Street/State Route 26, travel 0.6 miles.
- Turn left at N. Lumpkin Street; arrive at Old Opera House (on right). Byway begins at the Old Opera House, corner of N. Lumpkin and Broad Streets.
From I-75 to Exit 112, GA-27.
- Turn right at GA-27E, travel for 21.6 miles (as you enter Hawkinsville city limits, this road becomes McCormick Avenue).
- Turn right at Broad Street/State Route 129.
- Take the third left onto N. Lumpkin Street; arrive at Old Opera House (on right). Byway begins at the Old Opera House, corner of N. Lumpkin and Broad Streets.
From I-75 to Exit 101, US-280/GA-30/GA-90 toward Cordele/Abbeville.
- Turn left (if traveling south from Macon on 75) or right (if traveling north from Valdosta) at GA-30 E/US-280 E/16th Avenue E. Travel 17.9 miles to downtown Rochelle.
- Byway begins at the intersection of US 280 and Highway 112 in downtown Rochelle. Continue to follow US-280 to the City of Abbeville, or turn left onto Highway 112/Ashley Street, and follow Highway 112 to the City of Pineview.
Roads Included in the Byway:
- Mattie Richland Church Road
- Cannonville Road