Bridge Facts (as of 2009)
- Total number of bridges in Georgia: 14,455
- State owned bridges: 6,583
- Locally owned bridges: 7,872
The Georgia DOT is responsible for the following bridge maintenance activities:
- Inspection of all bridges and bridge culverts within a two year cycle.
- Underwater bridge inspection every five years.
- Determination of a bridge’s ability to carry a load (Load Rating).
- Routing of permit loads (including Superloads).
- Assisting counties with solutions to bridge and bridge culvert problems.
- Design and detail bridge repairs
Bridge Watch is a web based monitoring service that alerts the Georgia DOT about potential scour issues at select bridge structures. This service provides bridge inspectors with real-time storm data.
Please send direct comments, recommendations and questions to the Bridge Maintenance Unit care of Clayton Bennett, State Bridge Inspection Engineer: firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 635-2889.