Northside Drive (City of Atlanta)
Georgia DOT and the City of Atlanta will begin waterline and roadway safety improvements along Northside Drive/ SR 3/US 41, 2.4 miles from I-75 to just north of the intersection at Northside Parkway.
City contractors will replace the existing 20-inch water main along Northside Drive between I-75 and Northside Parkway with a 36-inch transmission. Contractors will also install distribution mains, fire hydrants and pressure vaults throughout the construction zone. The project is intended to improve water pressure and quality in the City’s northern communities.
Roadway Safety Improvements
- The existing reversible lane will be converted a two-way-left-turn lane, and an exclusive left lane for Northside Drive to Collier Road movement.
- Addition of right and left turn lanes from Northside onto eastbound Collier Road
- North of Collier Road, converting existing reversible lane to a two-way left turn lane until it connects to the existing four-lane section
- Sidewalks will extend to Peachtree Creek
- Signal upgrades and ADA-compliant wheel chair ramps reconstructed at each intersection.
Construction scheduled to begin in 2013 for 18- 24 months (spring/summer 2014). Waterline work will be accomplished in two phases, from south to north, beginning in Winter 2013:
- Section 1: From Interstate 75 to Collier Road, for 1 year
- Section 2: From Peachtree Creek to Northside Parkway, for 2 years
Impact on Travel
Construction lane closures will take place on weekdays and weekends from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Motorists should avoid this section of Northside Drive during construction hours, as only one lane in each direction will be open. During construction the existing reversible lane from I-75 to Collier Road will be converted to a southbound through lane.
Please anticipate increased commute times for the duration of the project.
For more information, please contact Rick Parham at firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 631-1829.